On November 24, 1891, a marvel of architecture and modernity opened its doors to Sacramento shoppers. Rising three stories and dominating the corner of 4th and K Streets, the opening of Weinstock, Lubin & Co. was an event the likes of which Sacramentans had never seen. Nicknamed the “Big White Store” by locals because of its color, the beautiful building lasted only eleven years, and in the early morning hours of January 31, 1903, Weinstock, Lubin & Co. burned to the ground.
Join Annette Kassis, author of Weinstock’s:
Sacramento’s Finest Department Store, on April 1 at 1:00 pm at Central Library, as she explores how Sacramento’s
landmark department store grew from a ten- by twelve-foot room to a modern
marvel, the fire that reduced it to rubble, and the company that rose from the
This program will be held in the Sacramento Room, located on the Second Floor at Central Library.